Saturday 27 June 2020

IDs and confirmations please

Best catch of the year, hope you can help with the IDs/ confirmations

First a pyrid? I've had a few like this now, I'd assumed they were simply worn but as I've now seen maybe 3 perhaps they just look like that? (sorry about it being in a tube)




I took a shot of the second one "au naturale" but a combination of morning shakes and a new camera meant they were useless so another pot shot.Edit. Here's the shot. Cnephasia?



Edit. Mottled Rustic? This 3rd one has me serously stumped, I've two shots, one lightened considerably to bring out the markings. I thought at first it was one of the minors but they shape is wrong. It seems to have vague blotches and what seems to be a rusty brown streak on the forewing. Underwings are creamy/straw.




Mark Griffiths, Garsington, Oxford.

3 comments:

  1. Hi Mark, I can't do the Pyralid at the mo but the other one is Mottled Rustic.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The top one is an Ephestia, most likely woodiella, but there are other similar species it might be.

    ReplyDelete
  3. thanks both. The micros were retained so they can be verified.

    ReplyDelete

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.