Sunday 14 June 2020

Red-tipped Clearwing at TVP wetlands

I paid a second visit in as many weeks today, to the nearby Thames Valley Park wetlands to try again to lure Red-tipped Clearwing out of hiding at a location where I had accidentally caught one whilst sweep-netting some years ago. I hung up a lure for the species without luck and then had a go for Hornet Moth as there are pupal exit holes in the Poplars there. I had no luck with the Red-tipped Clearwing lure, but within a couple of minutes of hanging up the Hornet Moth lure about 10 yards away from the first location, it was briefly visited by a Red-tipped Clearwing for a minute or so - just long enough for me to capture these images. I am pretty sure that I haven't got my lures muddled up (they are all labelled) and I have tried to be very careful not to allow cross-contamination, so is it possible that the Red-tipped Clearwings can be attracted to Hornet Moth lures? Whatever the explanation, it is a cracking little moth!









1 comment:

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.