Tuesday 9 June 2020

Hornet moth in Milton Keynes

Late evening 8 June 2020 Mark Baker found this splendid fresh specimen at Willen Lake on a "Black Poplar" trunk.
As Bucks moth recorder I have been told a number of times that Hornet moth is widespread in Milton Keynes and that some poplar trees have been felled as they were considered dangerous due to the amount of borings from the Hornet moth in the base of the trunk.
However, there are very few actual records from Milton Keynes.
Chimney Sweeper is another example of having lots of anecdotal information, but few actual records.

Now is a good time to go out looking at Black Poplar looking for the adults, pupal cases protruding from exit holes or just the holes themselves.



2 comments:

  1. For a couple of hours this afternoon I left my Hornet Moth pheromone lure in a trap hanging on a poplar at a known woodland site for Hornet Moth (a black poplar plantation close to home in mid-Bucks) while I carried out a butterfly transect there. However, all I got for my trouble was Cantharis rustica, a soldier beetle!

    The old fashion way of inspecting poplar trunks has served me well over the years so I'd recommend that to anyone looking for this species. Find a group of trees and search their bases, the grass immediately beside the trunk as well as the trunk itself up to about head height. When the females emerge (usually fairly early in the morning) they tend to just sit around waiting for a male to turn up. I've found females and mated pairs this way, but even just a recently-vacated pupal case sticking out of an exit hole is good enough for a record.

    ReplyDelete
  2. When I first started trying to find this species I got a bit hung up on trying to find "Black Poplar" but soon realised that a number of stands of poplars(hybrids?)seemed to have evidence of exit holes which were probably this species. Hanging the lure out around these had a fair amount of success. One of the sites was fairly new with trees of about 10-15 years old. So if there are established stands of poplars it may be worth look.

    ReplyDelete

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.