Wednesday 24 June 2020

Clearwings again

Yesterday I tried the VES, HOR and TIP lures here at Westcott from 9am.  The VES lure brought in an Orange-tailed Clearwing within ten minutes and by lunchtime I'd had 13 of them, but nothing at all to the other two lures.  One more Orange-tailed arrived about 2pm, while a single Currant Clearwing turned up at 5pm (I wonder how far it might have travelled, as the lure had been out for eight hours by that stage!).  Anyway, that Currant Clearwing was new for the year-list so I'm just waiting on Yellow-legged now of the five species I've had previously in the garden.  Today I made a brief visit to a rather insignificant patch of road-side Bird's-foot Trefoil at Woodham, about a mile away from home, and the API lure brought in a single Six-belted Clearwing within thirty seconds so it looks as if all of the species we can expect in this area are out now apart from Raspberry Clearwing.

Currant Clearwing, Westcott 23rd June

Dave Wilton
Westcott, Bucks

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.