Friday 19 June 2020

A batch of micros

A little against my better judgement, I put out the trap in Wolvercote, Oxfordshire, on Wednesday night and was rewarded with some very soggy eggboxes and quite a large catch of micros. Several of them are giving me ID headaches; additionally, there's one from the previous night on which I'm not sure of. Here's that one, which I've tentatively identified as Zeiraphera isterana:

Possible Zeiraphera isterana, 16/6/20
From last night, I have a very tentative Dichrorampha alpinana (I appreciate these are a tricky set of species), and three on which I've pretty much drawn a blank, one or more of which might not be identifiable from what I have here. As ever, all suggestions and corrections very welcome.
Possible Dichrorampha alpinana, 17/6/20
Unknown micro, 6mm, 17/6/20
Unknown micro, 6.5mm, 17/6/20

Unknown micro, 8mm, 17/6/20
Steve Goddard

3 comments:

  1. Hello Steve,

    I think you are probably correct with Zeiraphera isertana. It is certainly out now locally, rather earlier than usual. Of the other four, the only ones I can be certain of are the middle pair, which are Piniphila bifasciana and Rhopobota naevana. I should have thought you'd have come to recognize naevana by now! It often has few markings to go on but adopts that strange habit of seemingly "rolling up" its wing-tips when at rest which makes it instantly recognisable.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The large, roughly triangular brown blotch on the dorsum before the tornus and the pointed forewing apices give the first and last ones away as Ancylis achatana. Pointed forewing is a characeristic of the genus Ancylis.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks, both: I think I'm going to settle for achatana for the first and last; my records suggest I've only had naevana once, back in 2015 -- certainly it didn't ring many bells, so must have gone under my radar (I didn't know about the wing-rolling thing); and I don't seem to have seen the Piniphila before, so that's a nice lifer!

    ReplyDelete

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.