Monday 22 June 2020

Monochroa palustrellus (mistaken)

Edit - see the comments.  This is Anarsia innoxiella.

I seem to be continuing my run of good fortune in finding rare moths in my garden. After a Marbled Pug in May and Phtheochroa sodaliana a week or so ago, last Friday night I caught a single Monochroa palustrellus. I'm reasonably sure about its identity as there doesn't seem to be anything with which it can be confused: both the Norfolk Moths website and Martin Harvey's Berks micro-moth verification guidelines describe it as "distinctive".
Monochroa palustrellus
Newton Longville 19th June
Monochroa palustrellus, Newton Longville 19th June
This is a "Nationally Scarce B" moth. I'm not sure how many Bucks records there are: Martin H's file shows zero for Berks, but Bedfordshire had reached 48 records by the end of 2018.

Tim Arnold
Newton Longville, Bucks

3 comments:

  1. Sorry to spoil your fun, Tim, but have a look at Anarsia innoxiella...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Going back to the Monochroa family for a moment, I happened to be looking at their records today because I had either lutulentella or lucidella in the garden trap last night (I get both here) and it'll need dissection to confirm the species. There are only two Bucks records for the smart-looking palustrellus but one is in your neck of the woods so it remains a possibility - one day!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks, Dave. I'll keep looking for M. pallustrellus! A. innoxiella feeds on Acer, and I have one Acer campestris in the garden and there's no shortage of it in the hedgerows and copses hereabouts.

    At least I've found a micro-moth that isn't in the Sterling, Parsons & Lewington field guide - even if in doing so I fell into the trap mentioned in bold on page 7 that "It would be unfortunate […] if this guide led to misidentification through readers trying to shoe-horn every micro-moth found into species illustrated here".

    ReplyDelete

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.