Tuesday 23 June 2020

Bohemannia pulverosella

This Nepticulid species is supposed to be common but I think the fact that there are only three previous records for VC24 reflects the difficulty in finding it.  The adult flies during May in a single generation and its larvae mine the leaves of apple in June and July at peak moth-trapping season when few people are out looking for leaf-mines!  I found a vacated mine on our apple last autumn so this year I resolved to try and find a tenanted mine and was lucky this morning to find one (and two more already vacated).  I shall try to rear it through although I don't usually have much success with Neps.

Bohemannia pulverosella, Westcott 23rd June
Dave Wilton
Westcott, Bucks

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.