Friday 2 July 2021

Micro confirmations / IDs please

Probably best night of the year so far with my first ever Clouded Emerald and a very nice looking Barred-Yellow.

I need some help with some of the micros.

I think I have Pammene fasciana (2 pictures), 



 

 

Clepsis consimilana, 

 


 

I couldn't find anything that looked like this one in Sterling & Parsons.

 

 


I think this is Phycitodes binaevella (2 pictures). I didn't manage to pot it but I had a less close up shot which gives me some scale. The vane is actually 3cm, by my calculation the length would be therefore 14mm. 


 

 


 Finally an Ephestia that will probably need to go for the chop.

 


Mark Griffiths, Garsington, Oxford.

4 comments:

  1. I think the one you can't find a picture of in Sterling & Parsons is Anarsia innoxiella which I had NFG last night in East Oxford and had help to ID from moth twitter.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ben, I think you are right it's an Anarsia, thanks!

      Delete
  2. Ben beat me to the keyboard, but I can add that this is a species that caught me out last year when I managed to confuse it for Monochroa palustrellus. The reason that A. innoxiella is not in Sterling & Parsons is that it was only described in 2017, having been previously confused with A. lineatella which is an adventive in peaches. Lineatella isn't illustrated in S&P, but it is mentioned in the text, which says that it "now appears to be established in the wild in Sussex" - a caveat that turned out be be well-judged! Innoxiella is genuinely established and is said to feed on Field Maple, of which I have one in my garden.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Also trapped one in Merton, Oxon last night and was wondering what it was.... Thanks

    ReplyDelete

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.