Monday 11 July 2022

Dark Marbled Tabby, Duponchelia fovealis and Italian Tubic, Metalampra italica

 The warmer weather has certainly increased the number of moths in the garden traps.  

Last night I had a couple of unusual micros.

The first was the adventive Dark Marbled Tabby, Duponchelia fovealis.  I have recorded this here five times before, but all the previous records have been indoors, presumed to have come from recently purchased house-plants, my last record was in 2007.  I've no idea where this might have come from.  I've not bought any plants recently, but I presume it will have come from a plant in one of the houses locally.  Unless anyone is aware of it being established locally?  

Dark Marbled Tabby, Duponchelia fovealis (Note: this species is not in Sterling, Parsons & Lewington)

A couple of days ago I had a small orangey micro in the garden trap, this turned out to be the Italian Tubic, Metalampra italica.  I had another last night.  It is the first time I've recorded it here in over 20 years of trapping.  

Italian Tubic, Metalampra italica

Good mothing

Neil Fletcher
Walter's Ash, VC24


No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.