Tuesday 12 July 2022

Pugs, I'm afraid

The quoted differences between Currant and Wormwood Pugs don't seem all that obvious, and it is easy to find examples which seem to show characteristics of the other, or either! It isn't clear ro me at least, whether the "more rounded wing shape" refers to the apex or to a more curved costa, but I think it must mean the latter. Perhaps size is the most reliable feature, even though there appears to be some overlap in quoted measurements? 

I am puzzling over this because I have had two individuals recently which I now think are both Currant Pugs, the first based on FL of 10 mm, and a curved costa; the second (for which I don't have a FL measurement), based on strength of tornal spot and wing-shape. 

I appreciate it may not be possible to determine either of these to species, but any additional pointers for the future would be welcome!

Thanks

Phil T

1. 



---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

2. 


1 comment:

  1. Hi Phil, I suspect that what I am going to say may not be of much use, since I also find that attempting to distinguish these two Pugs is often subjective, given the overlap in features. It's first worth saying that for any species where there is this overlap, not all individuals will be assignable. You mention the 'quoted differences': Currant having relatively shorter wings, so that they are broader and with a less pointed apex (there I differ from your interpretation) than Wormwood, and a very conspicuous elongated black discal spot and white tornal spot. On this basis I think that No.2 is likely to be a Currant, with a relatively broad wing and conspicuous spots, while No.1 is a bit more debatable (the first of the No.1 images does show a relatively broad wing, showing how important it is to take photos directly from above, but the spots are less intense). It would be interesting to know whether other more expert recorders differ from this interpretation.

    ReplyDelete

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.