Tuesday 12 July 2022

Sallow Clearwing and a couple for confirmation/help

 Having returned from a week away I put the SAL lure back out and within a couple of hours got what I think are Sallow Clearwings. Confirmation would be welcome.

While away a ran a mothing session on the northern edge of the New Forest. I think the 4th image is of a Poplar Lutestring. The 2nd and 3rd  images are of a very small yellow moth that I am not familiar with. Being a public event I didn't really bother with micros but got quite a few what I think are Eudonia delunella (final image).

I hope it is OK to ask a few questions about moths from out of the area.






Andy Newbold, Sibford Ferris, Oxon.


3 comments:

  1. Hi Andy,

    That's a fresh and nicely marked Sallow Clearwing, no doubt about it. It is, I believe, the first mention we've had on the blog of a record for Oxfordshire which is excellent news. I've already added three or four sites for Bucks this year and by all accounts it seems to be having a good season so if you can try other sites with the lure you may be lucky. The window of opportunity may not last much longer.

    The other two macros are Dingy Shell (which we actually get in our area too!) and Poplar Lutestring. I think you must be correct with Eudonia delunella although it is a moth I'm not particularly familiar with.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Many thanks. I was fairly sure about the Sallow Clearwing and was relieved that the lure worked after it had been knocked over and licked by cows at Lamb's Pool reserve. I will try it in some other locations. My garden Clearwing species count is now 9 with only Six-belted being a realistic possibility to add.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes I think that is Eudonia delunella as well

    ReplyDelete

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.