Thursday 14 July 2022

Nepticulid?

 I got a photo of this micro (or nano!) by accident, as an interloper in another shot. By comparison with its companion, which I believe is Gypsonoma minutana, the FL must be ~ 2.5 mm. Having trawled through all the images I could find on Moth Dissection, I found it looked closest to Ectoedemia heringi or E. subbimaculella, but lacks the white spot on the costa.
So I wonder whether there are any other candidates, or whether Ectoedemia sp. is as close as I can get?






2 comments:

  1. Hi Phil,
    Unfortunately there are very few Nepticulids which can safely be identified on sight. You are correct that it should be an Ectoedemia but I wouldn't want to go further (despite being so tiny they can generally be ID'd via dissection). I agree with Gypsonoma minutana.

    ReplyDelete

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.