Wednesday 13 July 2022

Three come at once

 Newcomers are rare in my tenth year of running a light trap here but I think that today is one of those London bus occasions. I certainly have one new arrival in the distinctive shape of the Brown-tail above which made a change from the many Yellow-tails here at the moment.

 Am I right in thinking that the composite below includes a Kent Black Arches, which I gather has been increasingly disloyal to Kent? And is the lovely pale-coloured Plume a Yarrow? It is certainly unfamiliar to me. 

Lots and lots of more familiar arrivals, too. Happy times!  Martin Wainwright, Thrupp, Oxon



2 comments:

  1. Hi Martin,
    Indeed, busy times at the trap just now and I'm still getting new species in my garden after 20 years here! Kent Black Arches is correct. It has spread considerably since even the 2017 update to the field guide and I doubt now warrants its "UK Scarce, Notable B List" status. It can be found just about anywhere in UTB land, I would think, and is certainly widespread right across the county here in Bucks where it is no longer confined to chalk grassland, although that's where it is often found in the highest numbers. You are correct with the plume too, it is indeed Gillmeria pallidactyla whose larvae feed mainly on yarrow.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very many thanks Dave as always. Fraid I've landed you with another one this morning. All warmest - and yes, I'm awed at the way moths head for you in Westcott! All best M

    ReplyDelete

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.